Thursday, June 4, 2009

Spending Time...

A few weeks ago I started reading a book by Sharon Jaynes, called Being a Great Mom, Raising Great Kids. I've only read through the first few chapters, but it such a great book, and I would highly recommend it to all mothers with children of any age! It's been such an encouragement to me. Sharon Jaynes is a wonderful christian woman who uses biblical principles and also provides practical tips for moms. In writing this book, her wish is for all mothers to be able to have their children "rise up and call them blessed."
I came across this poem that she has in the book, and it really made me stop and think. This precious time that I have with Sawyer is fleeting, and it will be gone before I know it. They really do grow so fast...I still can't believe she's almost two. It reminds me of this little saying (actually, its on a plaque sitting in our room,) "Time is the only thing that cannot be retrieved." How true. While I know that I will always have responsibilities and things that have to get done, I don't ever want to look back and think, "I wish I would have stopped what I was doing for just a minute and read her a book, played outside, listened to her story, or just laughed with her...
They're only little for such a short time!
Anyhow, here's the poem...


My hands were so busy through the day
I didn't have much time to play
The little games you'd ask me to,
I didn't have much time for you.

Id wash your clothes.
I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book
An asked me to please share your fun,
I'd say, "A little later, son."

I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
Then tiptoe softly to the door...
I wished I'd stayed a minute more.

For life is short, the years rush past.
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side,
His precious secrets to confide.

The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play.
No good night kisses, no prayers to hear;
That all belongs to yesteryear.

My hands, once busy, now are still
The days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do
The little things you asked me to.

No comments: