Saturday, June 20, 2009

Daddy...








Tomorrow is Fathers Day, and I feel so blessed to have several of the most amazing men in my life…My Papaw, my sweet husband, who is the best father to my little girl, and of course my Daddy, who I love more than words could ever say.

My Dad is the kind of dad that always made me feel like the most special little girl in the universe. He’s a real “guy’s guy,” but he has never been one of those men who are afraid to express his feelings…he has always told me how beautiful (inside and out) he thinks I am, and how proud he is of me. I have never once doubted his love for me. When I was a little girl he would always take me on special “dates” with just me and him. We’d go to the movies, out to eat, or to play putt put golf…I felt so big. We would talk and laugh uncontrollably, and sink as loud as we could to music in the car. What fun we had…those times were so precious to me. I can still remember (when I was very little) laying out in our yard under a couple of huge trees on a blanket with my Dad during the summer. He would tell me the most awesome stories as we looked up at the sky. I felt so safe with him. At night, he would always tuck me in bed and sing to me before I fell asleep. I can still hear him now…he’s a fantastic singer. It is so important for little girls to feel loved by their Daddy’s, and my Dad did an outstanding job at showing me love…and the best thing is that he still does.

My Dad is the kind of Dad who was always up for being silly and having fun. No one can make me laugh like my Daddy can. He has the best jokes, the funniest stories…just the best sense of humor. When I was about eight, he let my friend Jordan and I put hair bows ALL OVER his entire head…I mean, there wasn’t a spot of hair showing. Most men would never allow two little girls to emasculate him in such a way, but he got a real kick out of it…and so did my Mom, who managed to record it all on video.
We would play hours upon hours, and he always made up the best games. I’ll never forget running around our house shooting each other with nerf guns, laughing our heads off…or the crazy wrestling matches we had in the living room!

My Dad is the kind of Dad who always took time out to teach me things. He would spend hours with me in our back yard, or at the batting cages practicing for softball. He made it so fun. My Dad is an incredible athlete, and I always felt like it was a privilege for me to be learning from him, even though there were certainly times he was kind enough to put up with me getting frustrated. He’s the best teacher…he’s encouraging, and patient, and he just has a way of making complicated things so much easier to understand. He worked so hard at his job, and while I’m sure there were some softball games of mine that he had to miss, I don’t remember many. He made EVERY SINGLE ONE that he could. It made me feel so good, to always see my parents there in the stands…rooting for me…cheering me on. My dad would also spend what seemed like endless amounts of time helping me with my homework. I was never any good at Math, and he would always sit down with me at the kitchen table and help me, something else he made so fun. Even up into college, he would still help me write my research papers. I’m always saying he is probably the smartest man I know, so I was never ceased to be amazed at some of the ideas he came up with. Lord knows he could have been doing a million other things, but it was important to him because he was helping me…spending time with me.



My Dad is incredibly thoughtful. When I was about eleven, I went to a week long girl’s summer camp in Bagdad Kentucky, and here was a canteen there where you could bring money from home to get snacks during free time. Of course, the one thing I accidentally left at home was the envelope with my canteen money. When my Mom called my Dad at work to tell him I’d left my money at home, he immediately left work and drove all the way there to bring it to me. You can imagine my surprise when I walked back in my cabin from worship on the first night, and there is an envelope on my bed with a note saying, “I thought you’d need this. I love you so much, Daddy.” I didn’t even know I’d forgotten it. All I knew was that my Dad was a super-hero, who had saved the day once again. In that moment, I can remember feeling like I wanted to be home, so I could give Dad a huge hug and kiss.



My Daddy is the best. He is smart, kind, funny, gentle, loving, talented and handsome. He is the most wonderful Papaw to Sawyer. They love each other like crazy, and watching them together makes me smile. He really “gets” me, and he’s so easy to talk to. There’s no way I could have ever asked for a better father.

I Love You Daddy…Happy Father’s Day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.