Sunday, March 15, 2009

Too Quick to Judge...

Our pastor, Dr. Cook preached a wonderful sermon this morning...one that really hit home for me.
His lesson was on the meaning of being a servant, and how important it is to be slow to judge others. At the end of his sermon he said something that really got to me... "You have absolutely no right to judge someone for anything they are doing wrong, unless you have been CONSISTENTLY praying for them."
OUCH...I'M GUILTY. Like most people, I'm all too often quick to judge others for their shortcomings, because in many ways I believe I've got it all together. Who in the world do I think I am?
In reality, I am nowhere near perfect, or ever will be...I'm a constant, ever changing work in progress (thank the Lord that He hasn't given up on me yet!) But perhaps its easier for me to judge others because many of my mistakes aren't as "out in the open" as theirs are. Yes, it's so very easy to pass judgement when most of our own mistakes stay hidden. The things is that, to God, my sin/mistakes are no different (or better) than anyone elses! As a believer, it is my responsibility not to judge, but rather to pray (without ceasing) for other people no matter WHO they are or what situation they may be in. I desperately want to have the heart of a servant and a true love for others, but I will admit that it isn't always easy! I struggle to remember that God's greatest commandment (after loving HIM with all our heart, mind, and soul) was to LOVE OTHERS...even those people who aren't so lovable.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Matthew 5:44
I want to be salt and light in a dark world, and I pray that I will continue being convicted when I start thinking too highly of myself! My hope is that God would continue molding my heart, and giving me the desire to point others toward Him...
“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. Matthew 7:1-5

No comments: