Monday, January 26, 2009

You'll Never Believe This One...

Let me just start by saying that I don't think I would even believe this story myself, unless it actually happened to me...but let me assure you, IT HAPPENED.
This morning I had to go down in the basement (where our laundry room is) and grab Sawyer a new pair of socks, so, like I always do, I shut the basement door behind me so she wouldn't fall down the stairs. Sawyer was in the living room having a snack and watching a cartoon at this time, but I guess she heard me head downstairs...she's a nosy little thing anyways.
So I get the socks and head back up the stairs. The door is still shut, but I can see under the crack her two little feet standing there behind the door. I didn't think much of that, because often times she's waiting for me to come back up. I go to unlock the door...and it doesn't budge. I wiggled it a bit, thinking it was just stuck...nothing. At this point I felt nauseous, and though all this happened within a few seconds, it was like it was happening in slow motion.
My daughter had locked me in our basement.
I start wiggling the knob faster, and I call out to Sawyer calmly, "Sawyer baby, can you turn the lock and let Mommy out?" I can hear her trying to turn the lock and then she just gets frustrated, screams, and runs away! So, there I am, calling out to her-begging her to try and unlock the door, and I know she could probably sense me getting frantic. She runs back to the door, tries again, starts crying...and runs away again.
By this time I realized there was no way she was going to be able to let me out so I run back down the stairs to find something to help me escape....by this time I was crying myself. What to I grab? One of Preston's old crutches from his knee surgery. At the time it seemed totally logical. Thinking about it now, I have to laugh. I start trying to beat the door down with the crutch, but of course, its much too big to maneuver...so I just threw that back down the stairs and start looking for something else. And then, I found it...a bat. I race back up the stairs (at this point Sawyer wasn't standing behind the door, and I couldn't even hear her) and start beating the doorknob. I mean, seriously, I was going crazy with that bat...it was like something off a movie...ha ha ha. After about 10 hits, the knob came loose, and I was free!
Sawyer was just sitting on the living room floor, probably scared to death from all that noise. I don't think Ive ever been so relieved. For the next half hour all she kept saying was "lock...lock...stairs...door!"
I have a feeling I'm going to be laughing about this one for quite a while.

3 comments:

The Burts said...

Oh my gosh! That is so hilarious and scary at the same time. I can just see you down there going crazy on that door knob. I'm glad you made it out and Saw bug was fine : )

pappaw said...

Sawyer probably did it on purpose... thinking that pappaw would have to come over and save you, and she could see him. Now I could be wrong...but Im not

The Petersen Family said...

Dad...Youre ridiculous.