Friday, January 23, 2009

God's plans vs. Mine....

"The plans of the heart belong to man, but the answer of the tongue is from the Lord." Proverbs 16:1
I'm pretty sure God must be amused, and maybe even let out a laugh when He hears us talking about the big plans we're making for ourselves. I can just imagine Him saying, "Oh, sweet child! If you ONLY KNEW the things I have in store for you!"
I can still hear myself talking with my girlfriends in high school...discussing who would be the first to get married, have children, start a career, and so on. I was far from the first on the list to get married any time soon, and I'm almost ashamed to say it now, but there was a brief time in my life when I wasn't sure I wanted to have any children at all! I had some pretty big plans for myself...finish college, find a job that I loved, move into my own place...do just about whatever I wanted whenever I wanted!
Look how differently my life has turned out! I was married just after my 20th birthday, and two years later became a mother. I honestly cannot imagine my life being any different than it is now...I have the best job in the world. I get to be a wife and best friend to the most wonderful man Ive ever met...a man that I happen to be madly in love with. I get to be a stay at home mom to the most beautiful, amazing little girl, and watch her grow and learn new things every day. We have a beautiful home, and I could never say it enough...God had blessed us beyond measure, and provided for our every need.
Praise God that He had MUCH better plans in store for me than I could ever had imagined for myself! Sure, there are always "bumps" along the road of life...we face crisis, setbacks, or disappointments. The plans we worked so hard to make start to unravel, and we suddenly find ourselves questioning God and His plan for our lives. But we can remain confident even in the uncertain times, because God tells us, "For I know the plans I have for you; plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
I don't know about you, but that's ALL I need to know!

No comments: