Friday, July 10, 2009

Potty Training...Day Three


Well, we are through day three of potty training, and Sawyer and I haven't lost our minds yet!
We've had three "accidents" total, which isn't bad over the span of three whole days. Ive been doing the "leave her out of her diaper and in big girl panties or nothing (if we're home) unless she's sleeping" thing. I know, some people think that's too much of change for them too quickly, but I think it really works.
Yesterday wasn't so great...she and I were both getting frustrated, but today she did AWESOME!
Mom called this afternoon and told me to bring Sawyer over to her house for a couple of hours so I could have a break from Sawyer and her potty. Mom's always know when we need a little break, don't they? I had talked to her earlier, and I know she could tell I was sort of wanting to give up. I took her up on her offer and I ran over to Barnes and Noble (my favorite place to go and relax) while Sawyer got to play with her Mimi and Papaw for a while. By the time I got back to pick her up, I was feeling much better...and my patience was restored. It's so easy to get frustrated with potty training, and with Sawyer, it isn't because she's having all kinds of accidents. It's more because I think she's holding it for a long time because she might not want to go sit on the potty at that particular time.
I took her to play at Chick-Fill-A this morning, and she told me three times that she needed to go "potty," so I run her to the bathroom, and nothing. She'd just laugh, and squirm, and try to get down every single time. I knew she probably did have to go because she hadn't been in almost three hours. I realize that I should have just been thankful that she didn't have an accident the whole time we were out (or when we came home) but I was just feeling frustrated.
Anyhow, When I brought Sawyer home from Mom and Dad's, we played outside and she ended up using the potty twice within 15 minutes! HALLELUJAH! I'm just trying to keep reminding myself that this is a learning process, just like anything else, and I don't need to box myself (or especially Sawyer) in with this strict window of time that I think she needs to be potty trained in. It will happen if I stick with it. She's getting it...and I'm so glad I didn't give up!
Oh, and the picture? That's none other than Sawyer's beloved Crazy Bunny! I hope he's not too embarrassed about his potty picture.

No comments: