Monday, December 14, 2009

Introducing...Lobster Buddy






Friday night, Preston and I went to another one of his work dinners so Mom and Dad took Sawyer out on the town for a few hours while we were gone. They told us before we left that they were going to get pizza and then to look around at the pet store (which I didn't think anything of because we always go to the pet store to let Sawyer look at all the animals.)
We were in for a surprise when we came home.
When I saw Sawyer the first thing she says to me is, "I have something to show you Mama!"
"What is it?" I asked.
"Lobster Buuuddddyyyy!!!!!" she replies, as she grabs my hand and takes of running for our guest room.
When I opened the door...to my horror....there sat a hamster in a cage. Sawyer was so excited her little eyes were the size of half dollars. I about threw up. I tried to sound excited because I didn't want to spoil her fun, but still. A hamster. I gave Mom and Dad the evil eye and they were laughing their heads off. They really thought it was hilarious (they would NEVER let that thing in their house.)
If you know me at all, you know I'm not really an "animal person." I mean, I don't mind them, if they belong to someone else and I don't have to be around them for an extended period of time, but I would never want a pet of my own.
I had a few pets growing up, although my mom wasnt much of an animal lover either. I even had two hamsters of my own once when I was bout six, but that didnt last long. I'll save that story for another post, but I'll just let you know it ended with my Dad throwing one of my over-sized hamsters (that had escaped from its cage in our basement months before and turned into a wild beast) across the street into the woods after he finally captured it in one of my play-purses. Now, for whatever reason, I'm deathly afraid of them. Like, seriously, seriously scared.
We got "Lobster Buddy" out of his cage (we let Sawyer name him, and I have to no clue how she came up with that one, but we just went with it) and Sawyer was so sweet. She said, "Oh, Hi Buddy! You're cuuuute! You're a cutie! You don't have to be scared now...I'm your Mommy!"
Well that completely melted my cold little anti-animal heart and I couldn't bear to tell her that he wouldn't be staying around for long.
I don't know how long this is going to last. Sure, Sawyer likes him, but when we're home alone together (which is the majority of the time) I cant even get him out of his cage to play because I'm too scared to hold him. And she wont pick him up by herself either. Preston, however, is quite the hamster wrangler. I just keep thinking she needs to be a little older to have a pet, one that she can take care of herself. She hasn't asked to see him all day today and its almost two now, so that's a good sign. Maybe she's already forgotten about him. Probably not. But when she does, Lobster Buddy is moving to a new home. Don't judge me :) No two-year old needs a pet!
So, if you know anyone who wants a FREE hamster with the cage, food, and all that other good stuff, let me know! Until then, we'll be enjoying our new furry friend when DADDY comes home.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Oh.MY.word. I would go leave that thing on the doorstep at Mimi and Pappaw's house!!! I about DIED when I read this post...notice your missed call on the phone! HA! I'm totally cracking up!!!