Friday, October 16, 2009

Why "Sawyer"...

This past week I had three different people ask me how I decided on the name "Sawyer."
It's actually funny because I didn't choose that name until very late in my pregnancy, and I'm a real planner. Ive said before how I was convinced it was a boy, so we had all the boy names figured out pretty early on. We had it narrowed down between Maddox, Grayson, Beau, Hayden, Reid, and Pierce...and we finally decided if we had a little guy his name would be Pierce Michaux (that's Preston's middle name) Petersen.
When we found out she was a little girl, we had picked out several names including Paisly, Raegan, Piper (although I never got Preston to like that one,) Lily (Preston's favorite,) Adair, Paige, and Ava. It was pretty much set that her name was going to be Paisly Adair Petersen...until I went to the bookstore one day, when I was 35 weeks pregnant. I was sitting there looking through baby books, and in one particular book under "unisex baby names" I saw "Sawyer." I thought it was different and I really liked it, so I called Preston (and Mom) right then to see what they thought. They both loved it, so that was all I needed to hear. Paige was one of the other girl names that Preston really liked so we finally chose, Sawyer Paige Petersen.
Why Sawyer? Because its different, and I like that when I call her name, 10 other children don't turn around. Because it has a sort of "southern" feel to it, and I'm one of those girls who loves all things southern. Because I could see her with that name when she's 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 years old, not just when she's a baby. Because It doesn't rhyme with anything obnoxious. And because as soon as I saw her for the first time, I knew it was just "right" for her. Preston and I have said to each other several times since she's come along, "I can just never ever picture her having any other name...she's such a Sawyer."
So, like I said, I realize its very uncommon, and when (especially older) people look at me strangely when I tell them her name, I just have to laugh to myself. I used to get offended or upset about them not "getting it," or liking it, but now I could care less. I have just as many people, if not more, who absolutely love her name...and that's great to.
So, for all of those who already read this blog, or who will ever read it in the future... that's the long version of "Why Sawyer?"

1 comment:

The Yates' said...

I am with you... we have a lot of people look at us like we are crazy for naming Averi averi... and especially when they see the spelling... and I have been tod atleast ten thousand times that Sofia is either a dogs name or "that old lady on golden girls" it used to bug me a lot until I realized, naming our girls is one of the priveleges in parenting, and if someone doesnt like my girls name they dont have to use it!!! LOL, oh and i LOVE the name Sawyer... i mean LOVE it!